Maximum productivity and comfort in the new CUBE cab
Combining a great look with productivity and comfort in a single product is not normally a simple task, especially when it comes to construction machinery. However, the new CUBE cab in Comansa´s tower cranes combines these three qualities, while bearing in mind that the cab is a work space and, as such, productivity should always be the number one requirement.
Proper visibility of the site and the working area is assured from the front of the crane´s CUBE cab, all of which is made of glass, not only at the front but also on the sides and at the floor, and even at the roof when installed in luffing jib cranes. Thanks to the optimum visibility of the load and working area, the crane operator has greater control over the operations and the surrounding area, which also means greater safety.
In terms of the external appearance, the aim is a modern and innovative design that gives Comansa´s cranes a distinctive look. Inside, all of the elements have been designed to convey warmth and comfort to the user, through their materials and good quality finishes.
The cube-shaped design of the cab with flat glass panes not only looks good, it also aims to make maximum use of the space, which is not possible with curved front panels or tilted windows. Thanks to this cube design, all of the elements of the cabin are distributed in a more intelligent way and there is extra space for operator ergonomics, and there is even room to comfortably fit a second person in the largest cab.
Comansa´s cranes are operated across the world, so the design of the CUBE cab has taken into account extreme thermal requirements, both hot and cold. Facilitating maintenance was also one of the goals during the design of this work space. As a result, the window panes are easy to replace when necessary and they can be bought anywhere in the world as they do not require a mould, unlike curved window panes.
The new cab will be available in two sizes, L and XL, and it comes as standard with most Comansa cranes. The smaller range, i.e. the 11LC132 and 11LC90 models and the models from the LC500 range, will be keeping the current, smaller cab for now. The new L and XL cabs are slightly bigger than the current ones, so they cannot be installed on tower cranes that have already been delivered.
Comansa´s new CUBE cab offers users a number of ergonomic benefits:
- Complete visibility of the working area, thanks to the full glass front, with tinted glass to avoid excess light
- Optimal access to the digital indicators and the multifunction touch screen
- Improved positioning of the seat, with ample access to it
- Improved posture for the crane operator
It has also make it possible to significantly increase the amount of equipment:
- A user-friendly multifunction touch screen, which emits warning lights / sounds about the state of the machine, that also allows to:
- Turn on, programme and control the intensity of the interior lighting
- Turn on the exterior lighting, to light up the platform
- Control and programme the lighting of the jib and the tower (offered on an optional basis)
- Control the temperature and programme the heating
- Control the windscreen wipers, with adjustable speeds
- View video images (the camera is offered as an optional feature)
- Pre-installation for air conditioning on the roof and "split" systems.
- Radio system:
- With hands-free (Bluetooth) option, to be able to talk on a mobile phone and listen through the cab´s speakers
- USB to listen to music from a personal player or charge the battery of a mobile phone or other device
- Storage space:
- With shelves for objects, mobile telephones, etc.
- A tab on which to hang a walkie-talkie
- Space for a small electrical appliance, such as an electric coffee machine or a microwave (the latter only in the XL cab)
- A larger electric cabinet, for ease of access and to facilitate maintenance work
- A wardrobe for clothing or harnesses, with special shelves for footwear (only in XL)
- Sun blinds for the front and side windows, and for the roof window too in luffing jib cranes
- Removable footrest grid, for ease of cleaning of both it and the floor window
Many of the improvements introduced in the CUBE cab have come from suggestions made by clients and distributors over the years. The joint efforts of the engineering team, suppliers and the BigD design studio (Pamplona, Spain) have made it possible to incorporate them into the final design, after two years of work.
The XL CUBE cab will start being shipped in October 2017, while the L size will be shipped from November.